Humanitarian and compassionate grounds apply to people with exceptional cases
guidelines that relate to compassionate and humanitarian reasons:
- More than one application on humanitarian or compassionate grounds cannot be submitted at once.
- Risk factors including persecution, danger to one’s life, cruel or unusual treatment, or punishment won’t be evaluated.
- If you have a pending application for refugee status, you cannot apply on humanitarian and compassionate grounds. Before your hearing before the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada (IRB), you must withdraw your refugee claim if you want to apply.
- If you received a bad ruling from the IRB within the last year, you cannot apply on the basis of compassion and/or humanitarianism.
- you have children under 18 who would be adversely affected if you were removed from Canada.
- you have proof that you or one of your dependants suffers from a life-threatening medical condition that cannot be treated in your home country.